:::: MENU ::::

Wednesday, June 22, 2016


Recently I was invited to become an Ambassador for Tri4Her, and share my story.

I am grateful for the opportunity to be part of Tri4Her's positive platform, who's vision is to inspire and motivate women of all levels, to live a healthy active lifestyle through triathlon. 

It is my hope that by sharing my story it can help others....

 
  
It seemed natural for me to want to compete in Triathlon. Ever since I was little, I was always involved in school sports, and competed against my brother in anything and everything!
 Growing up we moved around a lot, and every year I would attend a new school. Sports became a way for me to build my confidence, as well as meet new friends.  Throughout my school years ,I would consistently place in the top three in running events. However , those  glory days would not last. Fast forward into the world of triathlon, and boy was I in for a BIG surprise !!!

I did my first race in 2002  with a mountain bike. I wanted to be sure I would enjoy the sport before I spent some big money on a triathlon bike. I remember finishing the bike portion just as everyone was packing up to go home. Regardless, I fell in love with the sport!

I did much better in my next race. It was an off road duathlon, a 30km mountain bike followed by a 21km run. I won my age group and the first place overall female. I soon realized I was the only female who had entered the event.-😊

I competed in several sprint and Olympic distance triathlons and  placed in the low-middle of the pack. I felt slow and frustrated.   It wasn't until I changed my mindset and re-evaluated why I was racing, only then,  did I start to truly enjoy triathlon.

Ironman distance had  always intrigued me. I loved hearing  stories about what motivated people to do Ironman, yet I felt I would never be capable of such a crazy intimidating distance. I continued to dream about doing an Ironman, but did not pursue it.

Soon life was about to take a quick turn..

-Sometimes something so terrible can take you to places you never imagined possible -

It was Oct 2007 & life was good.  With two healthy children ( a 10 week old baby boy and a 17month old little girl ), living in our newly built dream home, we couldn't ask for anything more.

Suddenly our little girl  became ill with pneumonia like symptoms. A visit to the doctor,and a chest X-ray, revealed a large Tumor in her tiny chest. Soon we were about to learn a new word. Our little girl had Neuroblastoma, an aggressive form of cancer that primarily affects children under the age of 5.

There are no words to describe the excruciating pain of not knowing if you will be bringing your child home again. Part of me died that day, but looking back, that's the day when my life truly began.

Today our daughter is a healthy active 10 year old little girl who taught me to believe in miracles. She inspires me to dream big and that anything is possible, including finishing Ironman 2011 and 2014!




     
  
~ Race tips & What I've learned regarding triathlon~

Find what works for you -
     I've discovered how much I love early morning training, quiet scenic country roads ,and nature trail runs. I find indoor training painful and try to avoid it at all costs!

Race for a reason-
     Evaluate why you race and keep it positive.
     Whether it's to fundraise or to challenge yourself. Having something to hold you accountable for will keep you motivated and feeling good.
     Race to stay healthy,not to fit into a particular dress size.

Find your gift-
   Not everyone can be speedy. I may not be fast but I've been blessed with endurance , not to mention my health which allows me to continue to race.
   Maybe your gift is encouraging others and to be that shining light to a struggling racer. Find your gift and embrace it!

Join a club, a group, or a triathlon clinic-
     It’s not easy I know. One on one, or solo training is much more appealing to me than a large group. However, you just never know who you will meet or where it will take you.
     In 2008 I joined a Marathon training group to help me train for my first Marathon. My husband and I were doing our first Marathon together to celebrate our daughters one year remission, and as a fundraiser for the James Fund for Neuroblastoma Research at Sick Kids Hospital. It was in that run group that I met a dear lifelong friend and my training partner. Side by side we have ridden and run thousands and hundreds of km together, solved all the worlds problems, laughed until we cried, and encouraged each other to complete 2 half Ironmans and 2 full Ironmans . We share the same brain, we have a poor sense of direction and often get lost when we train. It’s guaranteed we will finish our ride with matching chain tattoos on our leg, as well as a helmet head bonk as we simultaneously stop to check a mechanical issue. We are the girl power nerds of triathlon, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!


Have FUN & Dream BIG!
-
 It's all about the journey not the destination. Don’t take yourself or the race too seriously. If you finish the race and your are still breathing, then it was a good race!
 Kona here I come! If the Iron Nun can still race Ironman at 80 then why can’t I? See you in Kona!!


 
What's next?
The Worlds most northern middle distance race ~ Iceland.

In 2011 I visited Iceland for the first time and I barely scratched the surface, yet Iceland captured my heart and soul forever. I fell in love with Iceland's majestic beauty and I vowed to return.

Finally a return trip to Iceland was booked for July 2016 , and I’m excited for my husband to see the country for  the first time. It wasn't until after our trip was booked that I learned the Challenge Iceland Triathlon race would be taking place while we would be there. How could we refuse!!!??
Not going to lie , the swim scares me to pieces. ! I am worried that swimming in glacier water  might just turn me into an iceberg.  I am Canadian. A Canadian who can't handle cold water !!
However I won't know if I can do the race unless I try , and this is a race of a lifetime, so I definitely have to try!!

Sometimes the things we fear challenge us the most, and in the end offers us the biggest reward
 
How's my training different for this race? Lots of cold showers!!
How will I celebrate after the race?  A hot pot party !   ( hot pot = a hot body of water in the middle of nowhere)

I am so looking forward to challenging myself in the Iceland challenge !

Bring on this epic race!!


               A list of websites that inspire and provide support -follow along on FB and Twitter!

 Tri4Her: Supporting, encouraging and inspiring women to live a healthy and active lifestyle through triathlon.
Livestrong: Improving the lives of those affected by cancer
James Fund for Neuroblastoma research: Supporting and Fundraising for Neuroblastoma Research


0 comments:

Post a Comment

A call-to-action text Contact us